Thursday, July 12, 2007

Woman to Woman : Keeping Your Marriage Alive



Tips and Tricks - Keeping your marriage alive: Whether you've been married for 38 years, 8 years or are a newlywed, you've probably picked up a few keys to a happy marriage, one which is nurturing and continues to grow. Maybe your marriage has struggled, but you've found a road back to each other and have insights to offer those in a similar situation.What would you say are the three most key elements in your marriage that keep the romance alive and the heart aflutter?"


This is a pretty cool topic, if you ask me. As I have said before, I am a short and sweet person and may I add simple too. When we were first married I didn't know if we were going to make it through the first year. That first year is crazy, but now, I see eternity ahead of us and I love it.


Jared is my best friend. I enjoy every minute with him and when he is not here, life can be quite boring. The first thing that I learned has made us closer is to put each others feelings first. If you do that, someone is always looking out for you. Make them the most important person in the world. I am happier when Jared is happy and I would bet he would say the same. If there is something that is important to him, it is important to me. And I love seeing him happy!!

Next, spend time with each other. When kids are asleep, enjoy the peace and quiet together. Find things you both like to do and do it!! I even have tried things that at first I really didn't have that much of a desire to do, but he loved it......now we both do. I guess what I'm saying is if you don't feel you have much in common (which happens sometimes) try something new and make it happen.


Last, joke. Laughter makes the world a happier place. Our family is full of jokesters. We laugh alot. We sometimes laugh when we feel like crying. Nothing makes my heart happier than seeing Jared in a real giggle. He's so dang cute when he giggles. LOVE IT!!


Now I just want to add one more. Jared and I rarely if ever fight anymore.I'm not saying we don't disagree, we do, but they just don't turn into fights. We have learned after many fights in the past that you can say anything to anyone as long as you do it with love. I know that sounds funny, but our tone in our voice and the choice of words we use makes a huge difference. We try not to point out what the other is doing wrong but try to see what we did to make the situation what it is. We apologize for our part instead of insisting the other. Somehow all this softens the hearts on both of us. We have both realized we have our own opinions on certain things, and that's okay. He can have his and I can have mine. Neither one has to be right.


I love being married to Jared. I could not been given a better man. I love him and I know he loves me. He shows me daily. He is a wonderful husband and father. He is my Jared. :)
Join in! Leave a comment and leave link at Morning Glory's and Lei's blogs.

6 comments:

Lei said...

Agree to disagree... good advice! As is being humble about it. Thank you for joining in this week!!!

Koch Clan said...

So sweet marianne. You guys are a great couple. I think the first year is always the hardest for everyone. It was for us too. And you guys do laugh a lot. That is important.

someone else said...

Really good practical suggestions and they obviously work. I liked what you said about finding something you DO have in common and making it happen. Thanks so much for joining in this week.

EarlGirl said...

Very, Very good advice!

Lee said...

Great advice! It really does help when you disagree to talk about it kindly. What a great reminder. You and Jared always seem to have so much fun. It is nice to feel like eternity is a good thing with your spouse. How grateful I am for Randy.

Lee said...

Oh yeah.. you had mentioned to me a while ago how you do stuff Jared likes and how it is has made you closer. I have been making a bigger effort and I totally see the difference, thanks for the great advice!