Berek has recently obtained the nickname "GIMP" because of the great misfortune he had recently. I received a phone call last Monday morning from him. I did not understand the whole story so I talked to the school nurse. She proceeded to tell me that he had hurt his ankle during PE, playing baseball and wanted to know if he was "just a sensitive kid". That P***ed me off a bit, okay a lot. I know my kid and he is one tough cookie (a chocolate one). I told her that he is a pretty tough one and she should see him play football, also that if he was emotional, that was not a good sign.
I picked him up from school, he hobbling himself to the car. We went to the KGH Urgent Care where we had an awesome Dr. They took X-rays and said he wasn't quite sure if it was a bad sprain or a fracture by the growth plate and if it wasn't better by Saturday, take him into the Orthopaedic Dr. He went home with an air splint and crutches.
The next few days he got a little bit of harassing at school, kids thinking he was faking. By Wednesday when I picked him up he said it was getting worse and that he started feeling shooting pains by his ankle. SOOO....I got on the cell and called his Orthopaedic Dr, picked up the X-rays, and went to an appointment. With in a few seconds of looking at the X-ray they said he broke it by the growth plate and now he is currently in a walking cast/boot. It is a beast. He has the privilege of sleeping in it also. What a lucky guy.
Now for the real sad news........he can't play football. Now it was bad enough when he broke his collar bone not playing baseball, but football is his true love. I even had a tear on my way home from the Dr. Jared and I love watching the kids do things they love so this is a bummer for us too. He is still going to the practices and the games, helping out and just being a team mate still. Hopefully he will heal quick and before the 3 weeks are up he might get one last game in. Cross your fingers!!!!!

4 comments:
Oh poor bear. What a tough guy though. That sucks that he has to wear that huge thing especially at night. We hope he gets better soon.
that totally sux. Shad could use some time with Berek cause he (Shad) needs to learn to toughen up!Get well soon Berek!
The poor guy! I would be so mad too about people thinking that he's faking it.
Berek, now you know what happens when you chase those pretty girls in gym class!!! Hope you're doing good.
Post a Comment